Dear Parents & Teachers,
I cannot believe that the 2015-2016 school year has begun! I am happy to officially say “school is now in session!”
I would like to call to your attention several important items, however before I do that I would like to first remind you that this Friday, August 28 is the Feast Day of the Dormition of the Most Holy Theotokos. All preschool-6th grade students will be attending the Divine Liturgy on this day. Likewise, this Friday will be a “Student Communion Day”. Please be reminded to not send your boys in shorts on this day since we will be in the Cathedral for Liturgy. Thank you for your cooperation.
Please carefully review the following important announcements:
– Each week you will receive a “Reminders & Announcements” e-mail with important information on deadlines and school events and activities. Typically this e-mail is sent out on a Thursday, when school is in session. Also, each month a “Principal’s Newsletter” will be sent out with information on the upcoming month’s activities and deadlines. The September 2015 edition will be sent out later this week. Likewise, other miscellaneous e-mail correspondences will be sent out throughout the school year. It is highly recommended for all parents to check their e-mail at least once a day, while school is in session.
SCHOOL EMERGENCY CLOSING PROCEDURES
– Please refer to the attached “Emergency Closings” document which states the procedures followed in an event that school needs to be closed due to weather conditions, a power failure or other emergency conditions. Please be proactive and monitor weather forecasts, especially during the winter weather months. In the event that there is a non-weather related school closing, you will be contacted via telephone. Please carefully review the attached document for detailed emergency closing procedures.
CHANGES IN KG-6TH GRADE GYM CLASS SCHEDULE & UNIFORM
– Please take note of the changes in the 2015-2016 gym class schedule. Gym classes will no longer take place on Fridays and will begin the week of August 31st. Listed below is the new gym schedule:
Mondays: 4th-6th grade
Tuesdays: Kindergarten-1st grade
Wednesdays: 2nd-3rd grade
Kindergarten-6th grade gym uniform forms have been distributed to your child(ren). Please complete the form and submit the fee (check payment only) no later than by this Friday, August 28. Preschoolers have the option to order a St. Sava Academy t-shirt and/or sweatshirt as well. Attached to this e-mail is the order form.
– All tuition payments for the month of August/September are now due by Friday, September 4. Each month thereafter, tuition is due by the 10th of the month. All tuition balances are expected to be paid in full by the last day of school. A detailed tuition invoice will be sent out later this week. Please be reminded that St. Sava Academy does not accept cash for any school related payments such as for tuition, gym uniforms and field trips. Please submit a check made out to “St. Sava Academy” for all payments unless noted otherwise. A recurring (monthly) credit card payment option is also available for tuition. For more information on monthly credit card tuition payments please see Jovana Lamas, the school administrative assistant, in the School Office.
NEW PRESCHOOL ATTENDANCE, MAKE-UP & LATE MORNING ARRIVAL POLICY
– As previously mentioned, a new preschool attendance and make-up policy has been instituted for the 2015-2016 school year in order to address high preschool enrollment numbers. St. Sava Academy is no longer able to honor make-up days when a child misses one or more days due to a sickness, vacation or holiday. The Academy has already reached maximum student capacity numbers on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays and has closed registration for these days. Also, the remaining days of the school week are nearing capacity as well. Since safety is our number one priority, preschool families are expected to adhere to their set days of attendance in order to avoid an overcrowded classroom. Likewise, each day is carefully planned in terms of learning activities and the allocation of staff and resources. Lastly, parents, or the individual or individuals dropping off a preschooler to school, are strictly prohibited from entering the preschool room. When arriving late, please knock on the preschool door and a staff member will admit your child into the room. We kindly ask you to always strive to arrive on time. Thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation.
– Please be reminded to not send your child to school if they have the following symptoms: fever, severe coughing and/or sneezing, diarrhea, vomiting and/or other contagious cold, flu and viral symptoms. Also, please allow at least 24 hours of being “fever-free” before sending your child back to school. If your child is seen as having any of the above mentioned symptoms, or other contagious symptoms, you will receive a phone call requesting for your child to be picked up from school. We all need to do our part in preventing the spread of illnesses especially during the winter months when illnesses prevail. As always, please contact the school office to report any student absences. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
– Please be reminded that each morning all preschool-6th grade students are to report to the main building hallway no later than by 8:25 a.m. We kindly ask for parents to not stay with their children in the hallway or to enter any classrooms once school is in session. At 8:25 a.m. all students will line up with their classes to depart for their classrooms. All school building doors will be locked at 8:35 a.m. Please proceed to the north entrance door of the main building to escort your preschool, kindergarten or 1st grade child to their classroom. To gain entry to the building please press the intercom doorbell. Students in grades 2nd and up shall proceed to the their mobile unit classroom. Kindergarten-6th grade students will be marked tardy beginning at 8:31 a.m.
END OF DAY DISMISSAL
– Please be reminded that dismissal locations have been changed for the 2015-2016 school year. Preschool-1st grade will be dismissed at the east door of the main building which leads towards the parking lot. Grades 2-6 will be dismissed at the north entrance door of the main building which is located directly across from the Cathedral.
AFTER SCHOOL CARE UPDATE
– The After School Care program will officially begin on Tuesday, September 8. Academy teacher Cassidy Brown will be heading the After School Care program. After school care will be available Monday-Friday, 3:30-6:00 p.m. If you are in need of after school care on a regular basis, e.g., only Mondays, (2) days a week, (3) days, (4) days or (5) days, then please contact Principal Bojovic ASAP. Only families with prior after school care arrangements may have their child(ren) stay in after school care. The after school care rate is a $4 per half hour, $8 per hour, flat fee, per family. For families with no prior after school care arrangements the late pick-up fee policy is still in effect. Please refer to the policy listed below.
END OF DAY DISMISSAL & PICK-UP FOR ALL STUDENTS
– Please be reminded that preschool dismissal and pick-up is at 3:10 p.m. and kindergarten-6th grade dismissal and pick-up is at 3:15 p.m. However, a 15 minute grace period (20 minutes for preschool) is given to all families. Therefore, all preschool-6th grade students must be picked up (daily) NO LATER THAN BY 3:30 p.m. Beginning at 3:31 p.m., a $25 late pick-up fee will be automatically assessed to your family’s financial account. Each 15 minutes thereafter (3:45, 4:00…) an additional $25 will be assessed. Please call the school if you will be later than 3:31 p.m. Please be informed that by simply calling the school to inform us of your lateness does not automatically excuse you from being assessed the $25 late pick-up fee. Only in extreme emergency situations will the late pick-up fee be waived. Principal Bojovic will determine whether the reasoning is justifiable for a waiver of the fee. This will be strictly enforced. Please contact Principal Bojovic for more information on the policy. This policy does not apply to families with prior after school care arrangements, however beginning at 6:01 p.m. this policy goes into effect. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this matter.
Yours in Christ,